FIFA sacking executive over Gianni Infantino criticism 'deeply troubling'

19 Aug 2026 04:30 CDT | 4 min read
Gianni Infantino, FIFA, Kevin Lamour
© IMAGO
Make us your Google favourite

UEFA vice-president Laura McAllister says the decision by FIFA to sack former Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lamour due to his criticism of Gianni Infantino is "deeply troubling".

Article continues under the video

FIFA President Gianni Infantino is facing significant pressure after plans to open the World Cup to private equity investment collapsed. The proposal would have allowed private investors to take stakes in the competition in return for shares, with the additional revenue intended to increase funding for football development programmes worldwide.

However, the plans drew criticism over concerns about transparency, control and the potential influence of private investors. Just days after the proposal was first reported, it was abandoned.

Infantino was accused by UEFA of trying to
© IMAGO - Infantino was accused by UEFA of trying to "sell the soul of football"

Lamour, who was FIFA's COO at the time, described the FFE proposal as "the project of one person". He argued that "the time has now come for football political leaders to ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions".

Lamour also alleged that senior FIFA executives had been "deceived" by Infantino's plans.

On Monday, he was sacked, with football's governing body apparently not happy with his insubordination.

"I know Kevin Lamour to be an honourable and exemplary sports leader who was a trusted colleague of mine when I was first elected to UEFA Ex Co," said McAllister, who worked with Lamour at UEFA.

"Kevin is not only a deeply principled leader who cares passionately for football, but a brave advocate for the values that should underpin all we do as custodians of our game.

"During the shabby events of the past weeks, he showed himself to be a courageous advocate for the most important stakeholders in football."

McAllister is concerned by the message it sends that FIFA sacked someone who dared to speak out against such a controversial proposal.

"Having worked with Kevin, I know that his leadership always operates on principles of respect, independence, transparency and sound governance," she continued.

"Kevin's sacking seriously weakens FIFA's administration, whilst undermining this unique opportunity to shift the culture at FIFA and to reset the organisation on sporting values, not simply commercial and financial ones. FIFA is not the president, it is the whole football family.

"As I have said repeatedly, world football needs strong, principled, independent leaders who are prepared to speak up, challenge when necessary, and stand firmly by their values and those of the global game.

"Instead, the loss of a leader of Kevin's calibre sends a deeply troubling message to all of us seeking change."

Infantino continues to receive backing from several major football regions, most notably Africa through CAF and South America through CONMEBOL. He also retains support from a number of football associations across Asia, the Arab world and Oceania.

However, his position has weakened following the loss of support from several influential organisations. UEFA, AFC and CONCACAF now oppose him, while New Zealand, Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales have also withdrawn their backing. Much of the disagreement is linked to concerns over his leadership and the controversial FFE plan.

Overall, Infantino still maintains significant support in certain regions, particularly Africa and South America.

Nevertheless, his backing has declined considerably, with opposition becoming especially clear in Europe and parts of Asia and North America.

Read more about: World Cup U20