Manager sacking changes everything for Man Utd in €50m saga

Tom Weber
Tom Weber
  • Updated: 17 Feb 2026 16:45 GMT
  • 4 min read
Michael Carrick, Middlesbrough, 2024/25
© IMAGO

Koln manager Lukas Kwasniok is under growing pressure, which could provide a major twist in the Said El Mala transfer saga and affect his availability to suitors like Manchester United and others.

Article continues under the video

The 19-year-old has been one of the breakout stars of the current Bundesliga season, scoring seven goals and providing three assists in 24 appearances so far this term.

El Mala has enjoyed a spectacular rise, even making Julian Nagelsmann's Germany squad during the November international break. Regarded as Koln's most promising talent since club legend Lukas Podolski, the tricky winger is destined for big things.

Current ETV
Player image Said El Mala
Said El Mala

F, M (L)

Koln logo

Koln

Said El Mala
Said El Mala

F, M (L)

Koln

Koln

€22.1M

ETV Range

€19.9M - €24.3M

However, it hasn't been easy for him in the last few weeks. Head coach Lukas Kwasniok has been very protective of the teenager, but there is increasingly a feeling that he has gone too far and become overbearing.

Recent reports have claimed that there is a growing rift between the manager and his wonderkid. El Mala does not understand why he is still not a regular starter despite consistently being Koln's most dangerous attacker.

Kwasniok on the verge of the sack

Kwasniok's management of El Mala was fine in the early stages of the season. Koln were doing well, and the youngster was still getting used to Bundesliga football. However, the 44-year-old has failed to adapt to a new reality.

El Mala has repeatedly shown that he can hold his own against grizzled Bundesliga veterans, but he continues to merely be a super sub. Moreover, results have begun to turn sour for the team.

Said El Mala
© IMAGO - Said El Mala

The promoted outfit are now just four points clear of the relegation playoff spot, and pressure on Kwasniok is growing. The coach and El Mala were all smiles in public during the traditional carnival celebrations on Monday, but behind the scenes, the situation is far from rosy.

Koln have just sacked their set-piece coach, and BILD reports that Kwasniok could be next if results don't improve in the upcoming games. This could dramatically change the situation of El Mala.

It was recently claimed that he had informed Koln's upper management in January that he would be exploring his options in the summer due to his frosty relationship with Kwasniok. He certainly has no shortage of suitors.

Brighton have been trying to sign him since last summer, and they made a fresh bid in January. Additionally, the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea have been linked with the 19-year-old. Koln want at least €50 million for their prodigy.

However, if Kwasniok is sacked and Koln remain in the Bundesliga, El Mala could look to stay put for another season. The club is dear to his heart, and he is mature enough to recognise that taking too big a step too soon would be detrimental to his development.

Football transfer news headlines today

TRANSFER RUMOURS: Jude Bellingham reaches 'agreement' as Chelsea deal completed

Arsenal handed unexpected Julian Alvarez transfer boost

Victor Osimhen confirms official transfer talks

Man Utd Transfer News Today: €80m Sesko replacement identified as contract talks confirmed

Man Utd insiders rate chances of swoop for brilliant Championship ace

The FootballTransfers app

Check out FootballTransfers' new app for all of football's big storylines, transfer rumours and exclusive news in one convenient place directly on your mobile device.

The FootballTransfers app is available on Google Play and in the Apple App Store. Download here:

Google Play

App Store

Never miss the next big transfer!

Get the latest transfer insights and analyses directly in your mailbox.