Chelsea dodging a bullet by missing out on Anthony Gordon transfer
The Blues are desperate to sign a forward before the transfer window closes at the end of the month and they had seemingly identified Gordon as their latest target.
Newcastle had previously been told that the 21-year-old would not be available for anything less than £50m and there is a belief that Chelsea may return with a third bid in that region.
However, while the England under-21 international undoubtedly has promise and quality, he has failed to deliver a consistent end product for Everton and is still an unfinished product.
With Chelsea having struggled for quality finishers in recent times, a move for Gordon would not improve them in the short-term and could end up backfiring in the long-term.
Boehly flexing Chelsea’s financial muscle in the wrong way
Gordon had a breakout season for Everton last year, playing 35 times in the Premier League, but only managed four goals and two assists in his first full campaign as a first team player.
The youngster was a bright spark in a disappointing season for Everton and showed maturity in difficult circumstances but making a step up to a Champions League team would be a huge ask.
Gordon is believed to have told Everton that he would like to join Chelsea but, with three years remaining on his deal, he would be wise to take another year to develop in an environment with less pressure.
If Gordon fulfils the potential that the Toffees believe he has, he will have plenty of opportunities to make a move to a bigger team and shouldn’t rush to leave the club he has grown up at.
Anthony Gordon is seen as a player who would add unpredictability and creativity from wide positions, it’s understood the move is driven by the desire to try and sign some of the best English talent in the country. (@Matt_Law_DT) #CFC— Pys (@CFCPys) August 16, 2022
Chelsea, meanwhile, sold Timo Werner due to his inconsistent goal output and would be better off utilising their resources on a more proven scorer instead of a raw prospect.
The move would draw similarities to Chelsea’s signing of Ross Barkley in 2018, however the Everton academy graduate joined in a cut-price £15m deal due to his contract winding down.
However, Barkley was more established than Gordon, and arguably higher rated, yet he has never lived up to his potential and Chelsea are struggling to shift the 28-year-old.
Chelsea are the biggest spenders in the Premier League this summer after the arrival of new owner Todd Boehly and a move for Gordon would be a statement signing rather than a logical footballing move.
Boehly would benefit from learning from his club’s previous mistakes and avoiding overspending on expensive British youngsters, instead developing from within and making the right calibre of signings.