Mourinho won’t rush back & may not return next season

Emmet Gates
  • Emmet Gates
  • Updated: May 17, 2021, 16:19 CEST
  • 3 min read
Mourinho won’t rush back & may not return next season

Jose Mourinho says he is not in any rush to get back into management following his recent sacking from Tottenham.

Mourinho was given his marching orders at the beginning of last week.

His sacking was largely overshadowed by the European Super League, a project which Tottenham were briefly part of before withdrawing after huge fan pressure.

The 58-year-old has now been sacked from his last three jobs, all of them in England.

He maintains that he is in no rush to jump back into management.

READ MORE: Former Man Utd defender explains why Conte is better than Mourinho

In an interview with Times Magazine, Mourinho said of his future plans: “I have no plans.

“I am going on with my normal life. I feel fresh. I feel calm. I am on holiday.

“I have more time to be doing my homework and analysis.”

Mourinho added: “I’ll wait to be back in football. Not just for the right club, but for the right culture.

“Maybe next season is premature, we will see.”

Tottenham’s search to replace Mourinho

Gareth Bale and Jose Mourinho appeared to have an up-and-down relationship

Gareth Bale and Jose Mourinho appeared to have an up-and-down relationship

Tottenham have so far been frustrated in their attempts to replace Mourinho ahead of next season.

RB Leipzig coach Julian Nagelsmann was said to be the club’s first choice, but he has agreed to join Bayern Munich as replacement for Hansi Flick.

Leicester City boss Brendan Rogers is also in the frame for the job. However, the Leicester manager has indicated he is happy at the King Power Stadium.

It would likely take a sizeable offer to convince him to break his £10million-a-season contract with the Foxes, as well as the promise of control over transfers.

In addition, Leicester are on course to make it into the Champions League for next season, something Tottenham have little chance of doing.

Current Ajax boss Erik Ten Hag has also been put foward as another candidate, but he also has seemingly ruled himself out of the job by signing a contract extension with the Dutch club.

Ten Hag’s contract with Ajax now lasts until 2023, and he spoke about the links with Tottenham.

“I don’t want to rule out that that could have happened, but I know what I have here,” said Ten Hag.

“I know who I am working with, I know what the ideas are, I know what goals we have.

“I’m happy here. That’s where my head and heart are at.”

Other potential options include Brighton boss Graham Potter, Fulham’s Scott Parker and former RB Leipzig coach Ralf Rangnick.

Massimiliano Allegri and Rafa Benitez are two available coaches who would also reportedly consider an approach from Tottenham.