‘Mario Balotelli will go to Juventus’
Balotelli had been in the wilderness for a couple of years after leaving Marseille for a stint at Brescia, but after a poor return to Italy, where he also played for Monza, he has come back towards his best this season in Turkey.
Balotelli joined Adana Demirspor in the summer on a free transfer and has been one of the stars of the Super Lig this season. The 31-year-old, who is under contract until 2024, has already bagged 10 goals in the league in just 21 appearances, while he also has three assists to his credit. Off the back of this, he was even recalled to the Italy national squad.
War of words
He has been in especially good form around the winter period, scoring four in four matches. Indeed, a streak of finding the net in three successive games came to an abrupt end on Monday, when Demirspor were held to a 1-1 draw at home against Besiktas.
Following that fixture, a war of words erupted between presidents Nur Cebi of Besiktas and Murat Sancak of Demirspor.
It began when Sancak said that he wanted to appoint Besiktas coach Senol Gunes for next season, prompting an angry response from Nur Cebi.
“I do not remember Sancak being a Besiktas chief. I do not remember that I brought him to the position of spokesperson for the press,” Nur Cebi said.
"It was not appropriate for the President of Adana Demirspor to make a statement concerning Beşiktaş, which was also a big lie.
“I can give you information from Adana Demirspor. Vincenzo Montella is going to Trabzonspor next year and Mario Balotelli will go to Juventus.”
Balotelli, though, is unlikely to make a move to Juventus, where his characteristics appear deeply opposed to the game being implemented by Massimiliano Allegri. Instead, this was simply a dig from Besiktas towards Demirspor.