Kevin De Bruyne revealed he has commenced early talks with Manchester City over extending his contract at the Etihad Stadium.
The Belgian star is currently contracted until 2023 and is driving negotiations on his own after his former agent Patrick De Koster was arrested in August for alleged money laundering and forgery.
I am happy in Manchester. I would like to stay.Kevin De Bruyne
Before his Red Devils defeated England 2-0 in their Nations League clash on Sunday, De Bruyne told a Belgian TV network of his desire to stay and the development of negotiations.
“I am at a good club. Good owners, good club,” he said.
The 29-year-old admitted negotiations were relatively easy to go through on his own given his desire to stay at the club.
“If I didn’t want to stay, it would take someone to mediate. But when you want to stay, it’s not so difficult,” he said.
Kevin De Bruyne’s brilliant 2019/20
|Big chances created||34|
The midfielder had previously hinted at a possible exit during the Financial Fair Play investigation earlier this year, but after the club’s appeal was successful he pledged his loyalty to the club once more.
De Bruyne joined the Citizens from Wolfsburg in 2015 and has made 133 Premier League appearances for the club, scoring 30 goals and laying on 59 assists.
- Super League LIVE: Man City withdraw, Chelsea to follow, Liverpool players protest decision
- All six English clubs announce withdrawal from Super League
- UEFA president praises Man City for ‘common sense’ decision to leave Super League
- Woodward to step down as Man Utd chairman after 2021
- UEFA hold all the power after Super League shambles
City manager Pep Guardiola hailed De Bruyne as the best player in the world in July before the No.17 claimed PFA Player of the Year honours in September, and the Spaniard will undoubtedly be desperate to keep his talisman at the club.
For the remainder of his time at the club, De Bruyne will chase a return to the top of the Premier League as well as Champions League glory for the first time.