-
News
- 43 minutes ago
Liverpool close in on dream signing: ‘Almost time’ for Barcola to say goodbye
Liverpool have been handed a major boost in their long-running transfer campaign to sign Bradley Barcola and Ibrahim Mbaye from PSG.
The Reds have had their eye on Barcola for much of the summer, with the France international becoming a priority after they were priced out of a move for Yan Diomande, who went instead to Real Madrid.
Initially, PSG were reticent to see the 23-year-old depart, but having added both Mika Godts and Ferran Torres to Luis Enrique’s forward options, the two-time defending Champions League winners are now more amenable to a deal.
PSG bracing themselves for Barcola exit
Liverpool’s interest in the PSG has expanded to include unsettled young Senegal winger Ibrahim Mbaye, who, like Barcola, has been left unhappy with his first-team minutes at Parc des Princes.
Both players were left out of Les Parisiens’ 1-0 Trophee des Champions loss against Lens on Sunday, not even making the bench, strongly fuelling the belief that they will soon be heading to Anfield.
“Soon time for PSG to say goodbye to Bradley Barcola and Ibrahim Mbaye,” a report from broadsheet Le Figaro declares, citing the fact that neither has played a minute in the opening two matches of the season as evidence neither will play for the club again.
PSG head coach Luis Enrique has refused to speak outright about the future of Barcola, but the Spaniard has similarly suggested that the former Lyon player will leave the club.
“We are a very young, very ambitious team, and it's more important to make changes and find players who enjoy playing our way and being happy to play for PSG. If a player doesn't really want to come, if he's not happy here, it's better to find another solution,” he said earlier this week.
On Sunday, he added: “I will only talk about the transfer window at the end of the transfer window, not before or after. When the transfer window is closed, I will talk about all the subjects.”
Transfer fee problem to resolve
Barcola’s position at PSG remains tense, with the French side having put an asking price of having put an asking price of €170 million (£145m) on his head.
Liverpool, meanwhile, have similarly dug their heels in and have told the European champions their top price for the player.
This impasse had led Sky Sports to declare that the only way a deal for Barcola could be struck is if PSG drop their demands.
While Luis Enrique’s side are no doubt reticent to do that, all the signs suggest that their resolve may finally be wavering.
Liverpool were patient until the last moment in the transfer window last summer to sign long-term target Alexander Isak, and it seems that a similar approach now will bring them Barcola.
Related stories:
Fabrizio Romano transfer news: Rodri to Barcelona, Enzo deadline ignored, Cancelo deal
Transfer Rumours: Chelsea surprise as Rio Ngumoha agreement 'expected'