- 18 March
- 3K+ views
Real Madrid and Barcelona SLAMMED for ignoring Enzo Fernandez offer
Real Madrid and Barcelona have been criticised for their "terrible" decision to ignore an offer to sign Enzo Fernandez for €10 million.
Fernandez, 22, joined Chelsea for €121m on Deadline Day after the Blues finally struck a deal with Benfica to sign the Argentine midfielder.
In the process, Fernandez became the most expensive transfer in British history, the most expensive central midfielder of all time, and the most expensive Argentine footballer.
READ: Enzo Fernandez: How Chelsea made Benfica sexy
He penned an eight-and-a-half year deal at Stamford Bridge, with an option for a further 18 months, keeping him contracted to the club until 2031 at the very least.
Fernandez rose to prominence at the 2022 World Cup, with his performances for Argentina helping his nation lift the trophy for the first time since the Diego Maradona-led side of 1986.
The midfielder won the Young Player of the Tournament award in Qatar, backing up his form for Benfica at the start of this campaign; Fernandez had previously helped the Portuguese giants top their Champions League group, which contained both Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain.
READ: Revealed: The Chelsea stars who fear summer sales
However, rather than joining Chelsea, Fernandez could've been playing his football for one of the big two in Spain, according to former Atletico Madrid coach Jorge D'Alessandro.
What has been said?
While Fernandez has shattered spending records with his transfer to Chelsea, he could've been picked up for far cheaper by Real Madrid or Barcelona.
D'Alessandro has revealed the huge mistake made by the El Clasico rivals. "Terrible management error by Real Madrid and Barcelona," he said on social media.
"Today he's the best in the world in his position, I offered him when he cost €10m to Ramón Planes (former Barça technical secretary) and the Real Madrid staff. Today they search and they will not find something like him."
Fernandez could make his Chelsea debut when the Blues face Fulham at 8pm on Friday 3 February. He must have his work permit signed by 4pm for that to happen.